Can I Ride A 125 On A Car Licence In Spain?

Can I Ride A 125 On A Car Licence In Spain
However, unlike the UK, in Spain the holder of a car licence is allowed to ride a 125cc motorcycle without further tests or changes to his licence.

Can I drive a 125cc scooter on a car licence?

Can I ride a 125cc without doing a CBT course – I have a full UK driver’s license? – Yes, if you have a full car licence you can ride a 125cc scooter or motorbike off-road. However, you must take and pass your compulsory basic training (CBT) before riding on the road.

Can I use my CBT in Spain?

The short answer is NO. You cannot drive abroad using a provisional licence. You must have a full licence for the category of vehicle. Thereby having a CBT is irrelevant, as the provisional licence is not valid. What about non-European countries? Let’s say Thailand.

  1. More often than not, you will find that you are not covered by travel insurance to ride in similar countries without a CBT;
  2. They do not have the same licencing issues but the roads and road users are something else;

So what if I have a full car licence. Then can I ride in Europe? There are two main groups of PTW: mopeds with 50cc engines and restricted top speed and motorcycles. The minimum age for riding a moped is 16 years and 18 for motorcycles in most countries. The requirements for training and testing are not as strict for moped riders as for motorcycle riders.

  1. But there are many differences between countries in the details of their legal requirements;
  2. Portugal, Spain, Italy, France and Switzerland have a minimum age for mopeds as low as 14;
  3. Denmark, Sweden, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium also have a light moped with lower maximum speed;

Most European countries recognise a separate category light motorcycle with 125cc engines and a minimum age of 16. However, in Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium and Greece this minimum age is 18. Italy, France, Belgium, Germany and Austria allow the use of a 125cc motorcycle with only a car licence.

Can you drive a motorcycle in Spain?

A1 permit for driving motorcycles in Spain – The minimum age to drive a motorcycle   in Spain with an A1 permit is 16 years old. With this permit, you can drive motorcycles with a maximum displacement of 125 cm³, with a maximum power of 11 kW (15 HP) and with a maximum power/weight ratio of 1kx / kg.

Do you need L plates on a 125 with a full car licence?

Type of Bike Licenses –

  • ‘AM’ Moped License (with CBT course only)
  • If you are 16 years old and pass a CBT with a provisional licence, you will be entitled to ride any 49cc scooter or motorcycle restricted to 28mph. You must display L-plates, cannot carry passengers or go on motorways. This entitlement lasts for 2 years. After 2 years you either have to do it again or progress towards another category of Motorcycle license.
  • ‘AM’ Moped License (with theory and practical tests passed)
  • The minimum age requirement for this type of license is 16 years old. First, you have to complete your CBT. You then have to pass the Motorcycle Theory Test and undertake training and a Practical Test on a machine up to 50cc. The advantages over just passing a CBT course alone, are that you can ride any Moped (up to 50cc) without L-plates and you may carry a pillion passenger.
  • ‘A1’ Light Motorcycle Licence (max power 11kW)
  • The minimum age requirement for this type of license is 17 years old. First, you have to complete your CBT. You then have to pass the Motorcycle Theory Test and undertake training and a Practical Test on a motorcycle between 75cc & 125cc. Once you have passed your Practical Test, you will have a licence to ride any machine of up to 125cc, so long as it’s power is restricted to 11kW, without L-plates and you may carry a pillion passenger.
  • ‘A2’ Restricted Licence (max power 25kW)
  • The minimum age requirement for this type of license is 19 years old. First, you have to complete your CBT. You then have to pass the Motorcycle Theory Test and undertake training and a Practical Test on a motorcycle exceeding 395cc with a power output of between 25kW and 35kW. Once you have passed your Practical Test, you will have a licence to ride any machine (so long as its power is restricted to 35kW) without L-plates and you may carry a pillion passenger.
  • Full Unrestricted Category ‘A’ Licence (Direct Access)
  • The minimum age requirement for this type of license is 24 years old. First, you have to complete your CBT. You then have to pass the Motorcycle Theory Test and undertake training and a Practical Test on a motorcycle with a minimum power output of 35KW. Once you have passed your Practical Test, you will have a licence to ride any motorcycle without any restrictions.

    After you have held this license for a minimum of 2 years, you can retake the Module 1 and Module 2 practical tests on a biger bike, and upgrade to a ‘A2’ Restricted License at the age of 19. After you have held this license for a minimum of 2 years, you can retake the Module 1 and Module 2 practical tests on a bigger bike and upgrade to a Full Unrestricted category ‘A’ License at the age of 21.

    If you have held a category ‘A2’ License for at least 2 years, the minimum age is reduced to 21. In that case you only have to take the Module 1 and Module 2 Practical tests on the bigger bike. You are not required to retake the CBT course or the Motorcycle Theory test.

Do I need to do a CBT with a full car licence?

You passed your driving test before 1 February 2001 – You can ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You do not need to take a CBT course or take the full moped test. You must take CBT if you want to ride anything larger than a 50cc moped.

What is an A1 motorcycle licence?

– –> The A1 Motorcycle Licence is available for people aged 17 or above who only want to ride a scooter/moped or motorbike with a maximum engine size of up to 125cc. Many people consider the A1 licence as a so called “permanent CBT”, with the added privilege of being able to use motorways, and carry pillion passenger’s.

Following European Legislation changes in January 2013, the A1 Motorcycle Licence is the only motorbike licence available to those people between 17 and 18 years of age. You can choose take your A1 Motorcycle test on either a manual or an automatic motorbike.

If you choose take your test on a manual motorcycle and pass, you can then ride either automatic scooters/mopeds or manual motorbikes. However if you decided to pass your test on an automatic, you will be limited to only automatic motorbikes and scooters only.

Can I ride a motorbike in Spain on UK licence?

Preparing to ride a motorbike in Europe – It’s not just remembering which side of the road you need to keep to when  riding in Europe  (right), you also need to be aware of different road rules. You won’t need an international licence or permit to ride when you’re in Europe, but insurance needs to be checked and other documents will be needed.

Make sure you have your passport too! As a general rule, if you have a full motorcycle licence, you’re good to go on European roads. A CBT won’t cut it abroad, only an A1, A2 or an A licence is acceptable on foreign roads.

The same power restrictions for those licences apply too, so don’t think you can hop across the channel to try out a higher-powered bike. You’ll need to carry your full licence along with your insurance documents, a European Health Insurance card and the original Vehicle Registration Certificate V5 for your bike.

What documents do I need to ride a motorcycle in Spain?

Can I use my UK driving licence in Spain?

Spain (including Balearic and Canary Isles) – You can continue to use your licence until 30 April 2022. You may need to take a test if you want to exchange your licence. If you hold a licence from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, you may need to take a test to drive in Spain.

Do motorcycles pay tolls in Spain?

  • Drivers of motorcycles, cars and lorries have to pay tolls for driving on Spanish motorways.
  • Fees are collected at toll gates, the amount of the fee is determined by the length of the motorway section and the category of vehicle.
  • Driving through selected tunnels is also charged by a special toll.
  1. Can I Ride A 125 On A Car Licence In Spain.

    Is lane splitting legal in Spain?

    Legal, But Not Always Appreciated – Lane filtering is legal and tolerated happily by the people in most of the European countries. In some countries like France, Netherlands, Spain, and Italy, it is not only legal but the motorcycle riders are expected to split lanes both in city traffic and on the roads.

    Here, it is a common courtesy to split lanes while riding through heavy traffic. However, in a few countries like Germany, lane splitting is sometimes frowned upon. Although it’s legal to filter, there are strict rules for it.

    For example, you are allowed to split lanes in Germany only when the traffic is stopped or moving very, very slow. Generally, if you’re lane-splitting at a speed over 7 miles per hour, you might get in trouble.

    Can you ride a 125 on the motorway with L plates?

    What about dual carriageways? – Multi-lane roads that aren’t classified as motorways are called dual carriageways. Learners (in cars) can drive on these and will even be taken on them during their driving test. However, they must be accompanied by an experienced driver.

    What is Category A on driving licence?

    Category A – You can drive:

    • motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0. 2kW/ kg
    • motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW

    You can also drive motorbikes in categories A1 and A2.

    Do I need a CBT to ride a 125cc?

    CBT | Full licence – I have a full car licence – do I still have to do a CBT? This depends. Everyone has to complete a CBT if they wish to ride a bike bigger than a moped*. If you have a full car licence which was obtained before the 1st February 2001 then you automatically have a full moped licence.

    1. This means you can ride a moped without any prior training, nor will you have to display L-plates plus you are able to take passengers;
    2. That said, it would be a bit silly hopping onto a moped without some sort of training beforehand – a CBT day is a perfect introduction;

    If you took your car test on or after the 1st February 2001 then you will have to complete a CBT. On completion, this qualifies your full moped licence and your provisional motorcycle licence. This means you can ride a moped for the length of the licence without re-taking your CBT every two years.

    • It also means you don’t have to display L-plates on your moped and you can take passengers;
    • This is not true of any bike bigger than a moped, however;
    • As a provisional licence holder a CBT will allow you to ride a learner legal motorcycle up to 125cc, but L-plates must be displayed and you cannot take passengers;

    Your CBT must be renewed every two years. *current definition of a moped is a motorcycle no bigger than 50cc with a maximum design speed not exceeding 28mph – this relates to category ‘AM’ on driving licences issued from 19/1/2013. The older definition of moped, relating to category ‘p’ on older licences allows for a maximum design speed of 31mph.

    How long is a CBT certificate valid for? Two years. Once I’ve passed my CBT can I ride on the motorways? No. As per car drivers you are not allowed on the motorways until you have passed your full test with the DVSA.

    Can I ride a 125cc bike on a car licence? No. A 125cc bike, regardless of it being a scooter or a geared bike, is classified as a motorcycle and is bound by learner motorcycle laws. This means you need to complete a CBT to qualify your provisional motorcycle licence.

    • Then you can ride up to a 125cc learner-legal bike;
    • Can I take a pillion passenger once I’ve passed my CBT? No;
    • You must take the full test;
    • How long does a CBT take? It’s a full day;
    • Starting at 9am you’ll be finished between 4pm & 6pm depending on the general competency of the whole group;

    Do I need to do a theory test before taking a CBT? No. The CBT is a training day, not a test. Once you’ve successfully completed all the training you get your CBT certificate. The theory test is only required if you wish to proceed on to a full-licence course.

    What do I need to take a CBT? All you need is a provisional driving licence – we can provide the rest. I did my CBT on a moped when I was 16. Now I’m 17 do I have to do another CBT to ride a 125cc motorcycle? No.

    You can ride a 125cc bike as soon as you’re of the minimum legal age (17) without having to do a fresh CBT. A CBT certificate covers all learner-categories of bike for two years, subject to age requirements. That said, if you’re getting on to a geared bike for the first time we can offer a short training session on clutch control and gear-changing.

    • Do you supply helmets? Yes, although we recommend investing in your own as you’ll need one anyway and correct fitting is vital;
    • Can I use my own bike? Absolutely, but your bike must be road legal;
    • If it is found not to be (loud race exhaust for example) then your CBT will be aborted and you will not get a refund;

    We have to consider not only the neighbours but our training licence would be put in jeopardy by allowing illegal bikes onto the site and onto the roads. I did my last CBT in 2 hours – why does it take so long with you? That’s because we do it properly! Unfortunately there are a few rogue schools out there who can’t be bothered to train their pupils properly.

    This is not only illegal but hugely irresponsible in our opinion. Thankfully the DVSA are beginning to clamp down on the bad eggs in our industry and not a moment too soon. Can I really learn to ride a bike in one day? Usually yes.

    Although that said, we would never allow someone on the road who isn’t ready. If you don’t quite get up to standard in the first day you’ll come back and do a little bit more training. Your course price entitles you up to 8 hours instruction. If you need more than that then additional hours are charged at £35/hr.

    Do you do gift vouchers? Yes! Do you accept cryptocurrency? Yes! We accept Ethereum (ETH). Please call / email for currrent exchange rate and wallet address. When & where do you do your CBTs? 7 days a week at our Head Office address.

    If I take my CBT on an automatic bike, am I allowed to ride a geared bike? Strangely yes but we would recommend getting a couple of hours training with us on geared bike operation.

    How long does CBT last with a full car Licence?

    CBT – To undertake any course at WLMT, you must be able to at least ride a bicycle to show that you have good balance. If you can’t ride a bike and have poor balance, please do not book as we are unable to train you for safety reasons. If you have never ridden a motorcycle or scooter and would like some experience prior to taking a CBT course, may we recommend the ITM course (see course list for details).

    1. It will help build your confidence and riding skills and may save you money in the long run;
    2. In order to undertake ANY of the training courses provided at WLMT, you will be required to have a basic knowledge of the Highway Code – for more information, please see Important Links;

    And you must have a good command of the English language. You will be required to take an eyesight check. If you use your glasses for the eyesight check, you will be required to wear them on the road. You’ll have to read a number plate from a distance of:

    • 20 metres for vehicles with a *new-style number plate
    • 20. 5 metres for vehicles with an old-style number plate (*New-style number plates start with 2 letters followed by 2 numbers, for example LU65 XYZ).

    Firstly, please allow one day for training for your CBT course. It is a legal requirement that your road ride alone is a minimum of 2 hours , so please do not ask to finish this early. This also applies for renewal CBT’s, however, if you are able to satisfactorily demonstrate your knowledge within each element and at a quicker pace, your instructor can progress you through the syllabus.

    • The road ride is still legally required to be a minimum of 2 hours;
    • Helmet, jacket and a geared or automatic bike are included in the price of your CBT;
    • Tracksuit bottoms/gym trousers and trainers of any kind are not permitted on any of our courses;

    No sports footwear of any kind are acceptable. You must also bring your own armoured road motorcycle gloves ONLY. Only boots, jeans and motorcycle clothing are permitted. If you are unsuitably dressed, you will be sent home and your money will not be refunded. The Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) syllabus builds on the 5 elements of approved DVSA training by adding guidance for each element. This will make it easier for learners to understand what is required of them. Please see Important Links for more information about each element. In order to be a road legal learner, you must be at least 16 years of age (a restriction of 50cc applies at 16 yrs).

    * PLEASE NOTE: We reserve the right to reschedule a CBT course if there are less than two people booked on to it. You must also hold a UK full or UK provisional licence and wear an approved motorcycle helmet.

    Once you have shown that you have reached the required standard by completing ALL of the 5 elements successfully, you will be issued with a CBT (DL196) certificate. You can then continue to ride unaccompanied up to a 125cc automatic scooter or geared machine.

    1. Please note that your instructor’s decision is final;
    2. If you do not successfully complete your CBT, any subsequent training will be charged £100;
    3. Your CBT certificate is valid for two years from the date of issue;

    You will have to display L-plates on your bike and you are not permitted to carry passengers or ride on motorways. You may renew your CBT certificate after two years or continue your journey to achieving a full motorcycle licence. If you passed your UK car test prior to 1st February 2001, you are permitted to ride a 50cc moped/scooter without L- plates or a CBT certificate and carry a passenger.