Non Eu Driving Licence In Spain?

Non Eu Driving Licence In Spain
Non-EEA citizens driving in Spain – If you’re from outside the EEA you may drive in Spain using your existing foreign driver’s license for up to six months after you have registered for residency in Spain. If your foreign license is not in Spanish, however, you must always carry an official translation or an International Driving Permit (IDP). Non Eu Driving Licence In Spain After six months of residency, your foreign driving license will no longer be valid in Spain and you must get a Spanish driving license. Depending on your nationality, you may be able to exchange your license for a Spanish license. If not, you must take the full Spanish driving test, however. Non-residents can also use a valid driving license along with an international driving license for one year.

The IDP is a document that provides a translation of a person’s driver’s license into a number of different languages, including Spanish. Carry it at all times as well as the actual driver’s license. The IDP is valid for one year and you must apply outside of Spain.

If your residency is not approved before the international driving license runs out, then you’ll be driving using an illegal license. But if at any point residency applies, the six-month rule comes into force.

Which driving Licences are valid in Spain?

  • What driving licences can you use in Spain? If you are taking your car, you must find out if your driving licence is valid to drive in Spain, whether you must exchange it or if you need to obtain the International Permit. Permits issued in countries of the European Union and the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) are fully valid to drive in Spain as long as they are in force. If you come from any other country, it is advisable that you get the international permit in your country before you travel.

    This permit is valid for one year and is complementary. So, whenever you are going to use it, you must also present your passport and your foreign driving license. More information on other valid permits to drive in Spain.

    Also, keep in mind that the minimum driving age in Spain is 18 years old. Also, remember that it is absolutely necessary to have valid international insurance. If you are a citizen of the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia or Montenegro you’ll need to have the insurance policy with you together with the receipt justifying its validity.

    If you are from Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Iran, Israel, Macedonia, Morocco, Moldavia, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine or Russia, you must obtain a Green Card or International Civil Liability Insurance Certificate.

    For all other cases, it will be necessary to take out Border Insurance. Since conditions may vary, we suggest that you contact the Spanish Embassy or Consulate to verify these requirements before you start your trip.

  • How do you rent a car? To rent a vehicle in Spain, you must be at least 21 years old and have a valid driving licence. Many companies also require you to have had your driving licence for a minimum of one or two years. To complete the car hire process, you will need a credit card. Remember that if more than one person is going to drive, the others must appear as additional drivers on the contract.
  • What are the most important rules? In Spain, we drive on the right, safety belts are mandatory for all the occupants of the vehicle and there are speed limits on all roads. These are 120 km/h on dual carriageways and motorways, 90 km/h on all other roads and 30 km/h in built-up areas. Other important rules are: It is forbidden to talk on a mobile phone without a hands-free device or to handle one while driving. Overtaking can only be done on the left side of the car which you wish to pass.
    • Also, the rate tends to be higher for those under the age of 25;
    • In Spain, it is usual for rental cars to have manual transmission and the rate for those with automatic transmission tend to be higher;
    • Children under 135 centimetres in height cannot sit in the front seat and they must always use an approved restraint system;

    It is recommended to use a restraint system with a back until the child is over 150 centimetres tall. These instructions also apply to taxis, so if you want to travel with a baby in a taxi, you must carry an approved restraint system. If you drink, don’t drive: blood alcohol levels must not exceed 0.

    1. 5 g/l (0;
    2. 25 mg/l in exhaled air);
    3. Helmets must be worn on motorbikes, mopeds and bicycles;
    4. Parking in public thoroughfares is not always permitted or free;
    5. In many cities the parking areas are regulated and subject to payment;

    Normally these can be identified by the presence of parking meters in the vicinity.

  • Which roads have tolls and which do not? In Spain, the vast majority of roads in the national network are free to use. These include motorways (independent roads in each direction and with no intersections at the same level). Nevertheless, there is a series of roads that may require the payment of a toll. These are the motorways. The cost varies in each case, but there are generally alternative routes that are free to use. Tolls may be paid in cash, by credit card or using electronic toll services (requires the installation of a device in the car)
  • What should you do if you get a fine? Traffic violations sanctioned in the Road Safety Act must always be paid. There are two possibilities when you receive a traffic fine: If you are informed of the fine when the violation is committed, it can be paid on the spot. If it is not possible to pay it, the Civil Guard may impound the vehicle until it is paid. If you are informed of the fine by post, you will have various options to pay: 1.
    • You can check the highways that require toll payment on this website;
    • Using the telephone number 060 (from Spain): the service is in Spanish only;
    • Payment is made by credit card;
    • From abroad the contact telephone number is: +34 902887060;

    Online: from the General Directorate of Traffic of Spain 3. In person:  At branches of Caixabank. In Spanish post offices (Correos de España), paying an additional fee of 1. 50% of the amount of the fine. At Provincial Traffic Offices using a credit or debit card.

Do I need an international license to drive in Spain?

Spain is a beautiful and historic country with amazing food—it’s exciting you get to vacation there! You will need an international driving license for Spain. Before driving in a foreign country, you need to know what the requirements are. Spain requires an International Driving Permit (IDP) because its primary language is Spanish. To get an IDP, follow these steps:

  • Make sure your application is with an organization that is FIA/AIT compliant
  • You need to be 18 or older to hold an IDP
  • You must apply within the US before you go overseas
  • You need a valid, permanent license in the US—learner’s permits do not qualify
  • You can expect to pay $20 for the licensing fee
  • You’ll need two photographs that follow the same standards as a US passport

Once your IDP is in hand, you’re ready to go for a drive in Spain! Once you get back home, consider looking into the Jerry app for ways to save on your car insurance. Jerry can save you an average of $887 per year on your car insurance in less than two minutes!.

What documents do I need to drive in Spain?

Can I use my UK drivers license in Spain?

Can I drive in Spain with a UK licence? – Yes, you can drive in Spain using your full UK driving licence. But you must be at least 18 years old and, obviously, it must be in-date. Unlike in some other European countries, you don’t need an international driving permit  to drive there.

How do I get an IDP in Spain?

Can I apply for an international drivers license online? – You can get your IDP online. Just visit the IDP application page to get one, and you can select the package that suits your needs. After you pick an IDP bundle of your preference, put your driver’s details and shipping information, pay for the fee, verify your identity, and wait for your confirmation email.

Can I get IDP online?

How do I apply for an international driving permit?  – You can’t apply for an international driving permit online. To get your international driver’s licence you need to apply in person at the Post Office. To be eligible for an international driving permit, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a UK resident
  • Have a valid, full UK driving licence
  • Although the minimum age to get an IDP is 18, some countries insist that you must be over 21 to hire a car.

When you go to the Post Office, make sure you take with you:

  • Your full valid driving licence
  • A passport-sized photo that you’ve signed on the back
  • Your passport as ID, if you have an old paper driving licence

The IDP costs £5. 50.

How do I get an IDP in Europe?

How to Get An International Drivers Permit – It is simple and inexpensive to get an international drivers permit. You can apply for one in-person at a AAA office, or order one by mail. It will take 5-10 minutes to fill out the application, and you can expect to receive your IDP in approximately two  weeks if you mail in the application. Items You’ll Need to Get an International Drivers Permit Include

  • An International Driving Permit Application (from AAA)
  • Two original passport pictures (can be obtained from AAA)
  • $20 USD
  • A valid driver’s license which you have had for at least 6 months

Steps to Get an International Drivers Permit 1. Submit Your Application

  • Step 1 – Obtain an application in-person at your local AAA office, or online.
  • Step 2 – Apply in person at a AAA branch or mail in your application with the application fee (check or money order), 2 passport photos, a photocopy of both sides of your driver’s license.

2. Receive Your International Driving Permit

  • Step 1 – You will receive your IDP right away if you are applying in person. If you apply by mail, you can expect your IDP to arrive in approximately 2 weeks.

You will be happy to know that getting an international drivers permit is simple. Just complete a few simple steps and pay a small fee in order to obtain this license for your own personal use. You must be an adult 18 years of age or older to obtain the permit. In addition, you must have a valid driver’s license from your home country.

  1. The cost of an International Driving Permit from AAA is typically $20;
  2. The license must have been issued at least six months prior to the request of the international permit;
  3. You are ineligible for the license if you haven’t a license in your country of origin or if it has been less than six months’ since that license was obtained;

The international driving permit allows you to drive in over 175 different countries with ease. Currently, the only company to aquire an IDP from in the United States is the American Automobile Association (AAA). If you are offered a license from any other organization, it is likely a scam.

How long can you drive in Spain on a UK licence?

1) UK Licence Holders – For holders of UK driving licences, to drive in Spain as a resident in Spain , after the end of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement transition period (December 31, 2020), it is necessary to change your UK driving licence for a Spanish one.

  1. You cannot use an International Driving Permit (IDP) instead;
  2. Current regulations mean that a UK-issued driving licence is valid for 6 months after arrival in Spain;
  3. UK driving licence validity in Spain (30 April 2022) If you moved to Spain after 1 January 2021 , your valid UK licence will be recognised for 6 months from the date you obtained residence, or until 30th April 2022, whichever is later;

Previous temporary extensions to the exchange period have ceased. From 1 May 2022, if you have been resident for more than 6 months and have not exchanged your UK licence for a Spanish one, you will no longer be able to drive using your UK licence. For example, if you became resident in Spain before November 2021 your UK driving licence will not be valid from 1 May 2022 onwards.

  1. You need to pass the Spanish theory and practical dirving test before you can legally continue to drive in Spain;
  2. If you did not request the licence exchange with the DGT before December 30th 2020, the current process is that you will still have to take a practical and theory driving test in order to obtain a Spanish licence;

Spanish and UK authorities confirm that they are still in negotiation for further recognition of UK and Spanish driving licences in both countries. Please feel free to contact us on our infoline, to register for updates on the situation. You can find out more about the process of applying for a Spanish licence on the DGT site, where the information is also available in English: https://sede.

  1. dgt;
  2. gob;
  3. es/es/permisos-de-conducir/obtencion-renovacion-duplicados-permiso/permiso-conducir/index;
  4. shtml;
  5. You can take the theory test in English , but the practical is only available in Spanish;
  6. You can still use your Spanish licence in the UK for short visits, or you can exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test;

You will be able to drive in the UK with your EU driving license until it expires, you reach 70, or until three years after you become a UK resident again. Please note: You cannot renew or replace your UK, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man licence if you live in Spain.

Can I use my UK driving Licence in Spain after Brexit?

British expats have been banned from driving in Spain after post Brexit talks on license rules broke down. Under tough new restrictions, UK nationals who have lived in the EU country for more than six months will no longer be able to use their UK-issued licenses.

What is a Class B license in Spain?

The vast majority of drivers in Spain have a category ‘B’ licence, which means they are certified as qualified to drive a normal passenger car, but being qualified in that category also allows you to drive some other vehicles.