Non Resident Car Ownership In Spain?
- Víctormanuel Paz
Foreigners, whether from the European Union or not, may buy a car in Spain, either a second or a new one, and have their car to use in Spain for a total of 6 moths (it is not necessary a 6-month continuous period) in any calendar year.
Can a non resident own a Spanish car?
After spending a lot of time in Spain, many people think about buying a car. Spanish law allows foreign nationals, both residents and non-residents, to purchase a car in the country. According to the General Directorate of Traffic, about 861,000 cars were sold in Spain between January and December 2021. The market is full of dealers offering various new and used cars.
Do I have to be a resident to buy a car in Spain?
Who can buy a car in Spain – The legal driving age in Spain is 18. You can drive with a foreign driver’s license for six months as long as you are at least 18. After that, you will need to get a Spanish driver’s license. In order to buy a car in Spain, you don’t need to be a resident but you will need to prove that you are living in the country. If you’re non-resident, either from the EU or non-EU, the following documents will be necessary:
- Your NIE number ( Número de Identidad de Extranjero ) , a unique tax identification number used to track all financial and legal activites.
- Your passport.
- Proof of address ( padrón ) including one of the following: house deeds; rental contract for a year ( escrituras ); or your proof of residence. ( Certificado de Empadronamiente ), no more than three months old and available from the local town hall ( ayuntamiento ).
- Three payslips ( nóminas ) if you are going through a dealer and are financing the car, or something that proves your income.
If you’re a resident of Spain, you will be able to use your residency card ( residencia ) instead of providing an NIE number and proof of address. If you’ve moved since obtaining your residency, you will need to provide proof of address as listed above. You may not need, or be asked, for all these documents before buying a car, but it’s better to err on the side of caution. Always make photocopies or take photographs of any documents.
Do you pay tax on second hand car in Spain?
A- Buying a new vehicle or second-hand from a car dealer When buying a new car, the sale is subject to VAT. The general rate applied in Spain is 21% of the purchase price or 4% in the case of a person with reduced mobility. This tax also applies to second hand cars if they are purchased from a car dealer.
How long can I keep a Spanish car in the UK?
You can usually use a vehicle with foreign number plates without registering or taxing it in the UK if all of the following apply:
- you’re visiting and do not plan to live here
- the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country
- you only use the vehicle for up to 6 months in total – this can be a single visit, or several shorter visits over 12 months
You will need to register your vehicle if you want to move it between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland. If you become a resident or stay for longer than 6 months you must register and tax your vehicle in the UK – follow the steps for importing a vehicle.
Can a non resident import a car to Spain?
Importing a car to Spain is a daunting process. The use of professional help is almost a necessity, unless you are patient and a very good Spanish speaker. However, shop around as whilst there are some good professional companies some charge exhorbitant fees.
- If you are a non-resident of Spain , but from an EU member state then you can import your vehicle into Spain and use it without paying any taxes for up to 6 months;
- The vehicle must be roadworthy and legal in the country from where you have left from;
However, you automatically become a resident if you live in Spain for three months and from a tax perspective, after being in Spain for 182 days in a year. The authorities can fine you for driving an imported vehicle if it does not have Spanish plates.
Can a non resident own a car in the UK?
Owning a car in the UK can be a challenge for foreigners, as many people in the country don’t own a car and instead rely on public transport. Nevertheless, if you are planning to stay in the UK for a while and have a steady job, purchasing a car could be an excellent idea. But, how can a foreigner buy a car in the UK? Can a foreigner buy a car in the UK? Yes, foreign national s can buy a car in the UK as long as they have a valid visa and meet the requirements set by the government.
- You’ll need to have your documents in order, including your passport, driver’s license, and proof of insurance;
- You may also need to show proof of residency in the UK;
- This article explains the different options available to foreign car buyers and what paperwork is required;
It also looks at how much it costs to own a car in the UK and other expenses related to owning a vehicle. If you plan to purchase a car for export, read this dedicated article.